Monday, April 2, 2007

Mike Check, One, Two, One, Two

Well, the moment of truth has arrived. I have finally started my very own blog (as opposed to contributing to my friends' blogs) and now I've got to come up with something unique and witty to share, right?

Well, the reasons for this auspicious debut are many, none of which are conceit. Honestly. I have lots of friends who have funnier and more entertaining sites. I also visit several lively and informative blogs every day, most of them knitting but not all of them. I'm hoping that the creation of this digital destination will inspire me to be more introspective about my life and process my feelings about the world around me. I also plan to chart my life (knitting and otherwise) so that when I have early onset alzheimer's, I can look back and enjoy it like a vaguely familiar David Sedaris short story. Who was that mad mikewade character? Why did he never seem to enjoy his good fortune and fabulous friends until it was too late? And why on earth did he buy all that sock yarn?

Which brings me to the title of the blog: Socktopus. The inspiration for this silly portmanteau was a contest that Blue Moon Fiber Arts conducted back in January of 2007. They had a new colorway naming contest and I entered with the entry "Siren Song". I came up with a few and discounted them all because I thought they were too silly. One of them was "socktopus" which I didn't send in. And, one of the winners was, you guessed it, "socktopus". This will be a recurring theme in my life. The road less travelled and all that. I have good instincts... which I hardly ever follow. I'm hoping that the instinct to blog will finally prove that I have started to trust that inner voice. You tell me!

In the next installment, I'll share 50 things about me... maybe 100 if I'm feeling energetic.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Matty is still wondering when you're going to knit him a lube cozy. - Scott

WonderMike said...

I'm knitting one for you and Matty both!!!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Oh hooray!!! I am so excited and I love the name of your blog. My lame-ass name for the STR contest was "Sea of Tranquility". I might as well have sent in something like "Unicorn Breath", that's how shitty it was.

I have already subscribed to you via Bloglines, you are on my list. (no pressure....)

WonderMike said...

"Unicorn Breath" is a good one. You better enter that next time!

Jon said...

Thanks to this entry I've been thinking up bad knitting puns for most of the day. I'm not ready to share them yet though.

Anonymous said...

No fair that you got five comments on your very first post and I've never gotten more than five combined from all of my posts.

WonderMike said...

LeeLee, you're just on hiatus. I know you've got a book inside of you.... all about LA.

Sandra Sallin said...

Hey Mike, it's Mayy's mom.He told me today that you've got a knitting blog. Well, I'm very into knitting and just got into crochet. I've got you set up on my RSS feeds. Loved the photos of the yarn. Delishious.

Sandra Sallin said...

Oops,I'm lying in bed so I miss spelled Matty's name. I'm not going to live that one down!

WonderMike said...

Hey Sandy, Welcome!!! Glad you love the Yarn Por(n). I promise to be more regular with my posts. I was sick this weekend. Ick.....