Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bootie-Licious


Handspun Corriedale Booties
Originally uploaded by mikewade
What has been occupying my world these days?

SPINNING!!!!

I have gone off the deep end and it's so not pretty. I've acquired spindles. I've acquired fiber. I've attended classes. I've attended festivals. The virus is strong and tenacious and I fear for my wallet.

But wait, there is good that comes of my latest and greatest addiction:
Baby Clothes. Specifically, the quintessential bootie, which I so love. What you see here is Judy's Novelty Wool (purchased at Stitches West 2008) and spun on my Cascade Top Whorl spindle. I made a two ply using my groovie Katie-A-Go-Go, that I discovered at Nancy's Knit Knacks. It's pretty freaking awesome.

This past weekend was the lovely Color: A Fiber Festival in Berkeley, California. The event was held at the dreamy Pacific School of Religion and featured a fiber bonanza market hosted by A Verb for Keeping Warm, Tactile Fiber Arts Studio, Pigeonroof Studios and Girl on the Rocks. There were also classes in weaving, knitting, drop spindling and rare/luxury fiber introductions. I had such a great time making new fiber friends, learning new tricks and, of course, hanging out with the coolest green and earth friendly entrepeneurs in the Bay Area.

Stephen finally got back from Sock Camp (I missed him greatly) and had a lot of great audio to share. You can look forward to some amazing future Yknit episodes and contests!

And this weekend? MAKER FAIRE... with special guest THE YARN HARLOT! Someone get me drink!

9 comments:

Mel said...

No, get her a drink. Buy Steph good beer and she'll love you.

Not that she wouldn't anyway. :-)

WonderMike said...

Beer! Check. Thanks, Hon!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

There are spinning festivals? Kewl! I wish you were coming to MDS&W so badly, next year, k??

bockstark.knits said...

You are a superstar!!! Love the booties, they are adorable!

Unknown said...

I love the booties- maybe I should commission you to knit more for all the babes being born in my life!

WonderMike said...

Heather, I DEFINITELY want to go to MDS@W. I need to destash for airfare. Wanna buy some Wollmeise? JK!!

Kris, thanks so much!

Laurie, I'd love to make some booties for you. Let's talk fiber, shall we?!

Colleen's Super Rad Blog about nothing said...

truly marvelous! Spinning and then knitting the booties. It's too much, I might faint. I am so not worthy

Sonya said...

That is amazing, you are amazing - see you tomorrow sweetheart!

Anonymous said...

Hello I'd love to thank you for such a great quality forum!
Just thought this is a perfect way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Johnie Maverick
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/strawberry-shortcake-party-supplies.html]strawberry shortcake Party Supplies[/url].