Monday, April 20, 2009

Jenkins Turkish Delights

One should never say never.

I said I'd never knit lace.
I said I'd never spin.
I said I'd never spin on a wheel.
I said I'd never weave.

Clearly, I am not to be trusted when it comes to sweeping proclamations of activities I'll never do. Imagine my surprise when I "broke down" and got not one, but two Jenkins Bottom Whorl Turkish Spindles. I had been admiring several folks pictures on Ravelry (Marihana, Criminy Jickets and Eydeet. all evil, evil people.... which is why we get along so well) until I finally had to head over to Ed and Wanda's site to see what was still available.

They are so popular right now, that you have to "stalk" the list and make a request the moment the pix go live. They have updates about once every two weeks, but it helps if you send an email and tell them woods that you like.

The two spindles I got were a full sized Turkish in Cocobolo wood and Turkish Delight in Yucatan Rosewood (pictured here). Both are a joy to look at and have perfect balance. I was able to start spinning immediately upon opening the package because they ship with a little pouf of fiber. The TD had a silk hankie and the full Turk had some lovely dark blue/turquoise pencil roving.

I might be getting some additional Turks (and potentially niddy noddies/top whorls/wpi tools....) from the Spanish Peacock, but I have to wait until he's back from the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival. My bank account and budget can breathe a sigh of relief... for the time time being.

9 comments:

Dave said...

Evil? I had no intention of getting a Turk, of either size, until I saw yours and Jurgen's. I'm not telling how many I have on order. I'm not the evil one. :-)

Eydeet said...

OK, I'm guilty. I confess. Please don't burn me nonetheless :-)

Vtknitboy said...

yum! what fun.

Unknown said...

I got one from Spanish Peacock at the MDS&W. Perfectly balanced, smoothly finished and reasonable price. Nothing to be gained by waiting.

Hege said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! Let me know how you like the knitting belt/stick! Sorry, I didn't make a video. :) I have found out that there are 12 inch Inox needles available, too, which I think might be easier to use.
Meanwhile, I really want to learn to spin soon as well... It looks like so much fun, and those spindles are awesome, like little works of art!

the Lady said...

I know what you mean - I thought I'd *never* want to spin... it looked so boring and DULL. And then, what do you know, 6 months later... and now I have hella stash and it is so exciting! When it comes to fiber, there are a lot of things I'm doing now that I never thought I'd do. Cute little spindles!

Keith said...

I saw a woman using one on Saturday (WWSIP day) and was amazed how smoothly and long it spun. We'll just have to see how fast I can get better on my beginner spindles (thanks again Mike) before I indulge.

Leebot said...

I just received my Jenkins Turkish Delight (first turkish spindle ever) in the mail last week. I find myself attracted to the beautiful varieties of wood! Are you enjoying spinning on your turk?!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!